Chioma Akpotha (nee Chukwuka) is a renowned Nigerian Actress, Producer, Director, Influencer, Public Speaker, and Teacher. Yes, it’s a lot of labels but she is all of these labels, and not mentioning one would be limiting her achievements.
This award-winning actress is also a mother and wife yet a successful member of the Actors Guild of Nigeria. Continue reading to know more about this strong woman who seems to have it all started and where she is at right now.
Chioma has a strong social media following, with over 5 million followers on Instagram. You can follow her on her verified Instagram handle @chiomakpotha.
The actress was born on March 12, 1980, in Oraifite, Anambra State. Her parents are Leonard Ndukaife Chukwuka and Grace Egoyibo Chukwuka. Chioma has five siblings.
The famous actress finished her elementary education at Onward Nursery and Primary School in Lagos State and then continued to Federal Government Girls College in Onitsha, Anambra State, her state of origin for her secondary education. Chioma then presided at Lagos State University, where she earned her degree in Banking and Finance.
How Chioma’s Career Started.
Chioma has always envisioned herself on television since her childhood, however, her parents were not in support of that dream because it was popularly rumored that the women found in the Nigerian entertainment industry are loose. Despite her parent’s opinion about the industry she went to for an audition in 1998, she was lucky to get the role of little skita in the movie. This opened the door for her big debut in 2000.
IMPORTANT LIFE EVENTS
Chioma Akpotha’s career as an actress started with her debut in the movie “The Apple” in the year 2000. Chioma was also featured in the movie “The Handkerchief” in 2000. In 2007 she was nominated and won the “Best Actress in a Lead Role” award at the African Movie Academy Awards for her role in the movie Sins of the Flesh. Subsequently, She was nominated for the African Movie Academy Award for “Best Actress” in the movie “Accident” in 2014. With her career now spanning just a little over 20 years, she has featured in over 350 Nigerian movies, produced 6 movies, and has multiple awards to her fame. As a filmmaker, the actress has produced and co-produced over eight movies including the award-nominated film “On Bended Knees”.
Listed below are movies Chioma has featured in and some of which she produced:
- The Apple – 2000
- Three Musketeers – 2000
- Handkerchief – 2000
- Sunrise – 2002
- The Final Clash – 2002
- Disguise – 2003
- Handsome – 2003
- Unbroken Promise – 2004
- Two Become One – 2004
- Promise and Fail – 2004
- War for War – 2005
- Years of Tears – 2005
- Sins of the Flesh – 2005
- Second Adam – 2005
- The Saint – 2006
- Royal Insult – 2006
- Royal Doom – 2006
- On My Wedding Day – 2006
- Naked Sin – 2006
- Double Game – 2007
- Red Soil – 2008
- World Of Our Own – 2008
- Wind Of Sorrow – 2008
- Odum Na Akwaeke – 2009
- The Throne Is Mine – 2011
- Nne Ifedigo – 2011
- Cry No More – 2012
- On Bended Knees – 2013
- Heart Of Gold – 2014
- Warrior Sisters – 2014
- Aziza – 2014
- Warrior Sisters – 2014
- Coffin Business – 2015
- Anelka – 2015
- Udu Bundle – 2015
- Rain Of Hope – 2016
- Evil Coffin – 2016
- Genesis Of Love – 2016
- The Flute Boy – 2016
- Reign Of Truth – 2017
- God Of Liberation – 2017
- My Mother – 2017
- Jehovah Witness – 2017
- Desperate Twins – 2018
- The Ghost and The Tout – 2018
- On Bended Knees – 2013
- Cry of the Dead – 2016
- Choked – 2017
- Bird Watcher – 2017
- Nneka The Pretty Serpent – 2020
- Omo Ghetto: The Saga – 2020
Chioma founded her company, the Oma World Company in October 2011. The business is created to handle everything that pertains to filmmaking. Some of the services the company offers include acting, coaching, screenwriting, financing, and movie production.
Likewise in January 2019, the actress launched her capacity-building forum called “Masterclass with Chioma. The masterclass aims to teach struggling talents, particularly actors, important things they need to know to make it in the film, TV, and theatre industry. Experienced filmmakers, screenwriters, actors, and other industry experts are also available to teach and discover young talents.
The 41year old actress has earned recognition in the Nigerian movie industry and just as well received several awards in the course of her career, listed below is the awards and nominations of Chioma:
- She won the Best Actress in a Leading Role at the Africa Movie Academy Award – 2007
- She won the Afro Hollywood awards for Best Actress in a Leading Role – 2010
- She was nominated for the Brand Ambassador of the Year (Harpic) at the Exquisite Lady of the Year (ELOY) Awards – 2012
- Exquisite Lady of the Year (ELOY) Awards, she was a nominee for Film Actress of the Year – 2013
- Best of Nollywood Awards nominee for Best Lead Actress in an English Movie – 2013
- Her movie “On Bended Knees” was nominated for the Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards – 2013
- Nominated for Best Cinematography the Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards – 2013
- Best Actress nominee at the Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards – 2013
- Exquisite Lady of the Year (ELOY) Awards nominee for Brand Ambassador of the Year (Omo) – 2014
- Africa Movie Academy Award nominee for Best Actress in a Leading Role – 2014
- Golden Icons Academy Movie Awards nominee for Best Actress – 2014
- Nollywood Movies Awards nominee for Best Lead Female – 2014
- Nigeria Entertainment Awards nominee for Best Actress in a Lead Role – 2014
- City People Entertainment Awards nominee for Best Actress of the Year (English) – 2014
- Best Actress of the Year (English) at the City People Entertainment Awards – 2015
- City People Entertainment Awards nominee for Best Actress of the Year (English) – 2016
- Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards nominee in the category of Best Actress in a Comedy – 2017
- Ghana-Naija Awards nominated her for Actress of the Year – 2018
Chioma Chukwuka has over the years served as a brand influencer for several Nigerian and international retail companies, including Globacom Nigeria, a well-known telecommunications corporation, Omo Detergent, and Harpic Cleaner. Currently, Chioma Akpotha became the brand ambassador for Erisco Foods in November 2018.
Through her many sources of income, the actress’s net worth is estimated to be $2million.
Other Interesting Facts
Chioma got married in 2006 to her husband Franklin Akpotha, the union is blessed with children but Chioma has always kept her family away from the media.