Mercy Aigbe is a popular Nigerian actress, producer, and filmmaker. She is well known for the roles she plays in Yoruba movies. She is also a brand influencer, founder of Mercy Aigbe Gentry School of Drama and lastly, an entrepreneur. She is also a business lady, she owns an asoebi store, a fashion store, and a skincare store.
Mercy was born in Edo State, Nigeria on the 1st of January 1978 to Pa Aigbe and Mrs. Abisola Grace Owodunni. She was the second child of her parents, and she has 2 other siblings. Presently she is regarded as one of the best actresses in the Nollywood industry.
Mercy Aigbe Educational Background
Table of Contents
Mercy Aigbe attended the Saint Francis primary school Ikeja, Lagos State where she obtained her first school, and also attended the Maryland Comprehensive Secondary School Ikeja, Lagos, where she obtained her West African Senior School Certificate. After she finished her secondary school, she went further to study at the Polytechnic of Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria where she obtained an OND in Financial Studies.
Mercy was a student at the University of Lagos, Nigeria where she obtained a bachelor’s degree in Theater Arts (2001).
Mercy Aigbe Career
Mercy Aigbe joined the Nollywood industry in 2001. She started by attending various movie auditions and she wasn’t popular then and so she was acting in minor roles in movies. She joined Nollywood fully and became a professional actress after her university education.
Mercy Aigbe became well-known in the Nollywood industry in 2006 when she starred in the movie ” Ara”. She has always had a passion for acting but didn’t believe she would be a successful actress until her OND days when she decided to make it a big deal. It was after her decision that she went to the University of Lagos to study Theatre Arts in order to become a professional actress.
Mercy has been featured in over 150 Nollywood movies, she stars mostly in Yoruba movies. Some of her movies are Afefe ife, Satanic, Okanjua, Ihamo, Ipese, Igberaga, Oju ife, Ile Oko Mii, and many more.
Aside from acting, Mercy Aigbe is an entrepreneur and a businesswoman with multiple sources of income. She is the CEO of Mag Diva Boutique, which is a fashion store and was launched in November 2014. She is also the founder of Flawless by Mercy, a skincare line and also an asoebi store known as Asoebi Mercy.
Mercy Aigbe is the founder of MAG School of Drama which was established in 2016. The drama school offers four-month training in movie making, stage management, acting, script-writing, and much more. She is a professional and she also hired well-trained and experienced instructors to teach and develop the skills of her students so they can succeed in the Nigerian entertainment industry.
Mercy Aigbe’s Movies
Mercy Aigbe has featured in numerous Nollywood movies, she is a popular figure in the Nollywood industry and some of her movies are
- Ara – 2016
- Afefe Ife – 2008
- Okanjua – 2008
- Atunida Leyi – 2009
- Igberaga – 2009
- Ihamo – 2009
- Ìpèsè – 2009
- Iró funfun – 2009
- Mafisere – 2009
- Oju ife – 2009
- Omoge Osas – 2012
- Ile Oko Mii – 2014
- Victims – 2015
- The Screenplay – 2017
- Little Drops of Happy – 2017
- Flaky Ijaye – 2017
- 77 Bullets – 2017
- 200 Million – 2018
- Second Acts – 2018
- Heaven on my Mind – 2018
- Lagos Real Fake Life – 2018
- That Which Binds Us – 2018
- The Big Fat Lie – 2019
- The Reunion – 2019
Mercy Aigbe Marriage
Mercy Aigbe has been married twice. She had a serious issue with her mother In-law and this issue ended her first marriage. In 2013, Mercy Aigbe got married to a hotel owner, Lanre Gentry. Their union was blessed with two children named Juwon and Michelle Aigbe. Mercy Aigbe and her husband got separated again in 2017. She stated that her husband physically assaulted her. That was what separated the pair and it resulted in her campaign firmly against women abuse.
Mercy Aigbe Awards and Recognition
- Awarded the Best Actress in Yoruba at the City People Awards.
- Fashion Entrepreneur of the Year at Links and Glitz World Awards
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Yoruba) – 2010
- Awarded the Award of Excellence at the Global Leadership Awards for Excellence (GLADE) – 2012
- Awarded the Best Indigenous Language (Yoruba) – 2014
- Best Actress in a Lead Role nomination at the Yoruba Movies Academy Awards (YMAA) – 2014
- Yoruba Movie Personality of the year at the City People Entertainment – 2015
- Awarded the Fashion Entrepreneur of the Year Award at the Links and Glitz World Awards – 2015
- Best Actress of the Year nominee at the City People Movie Award (Yoruba) – 2016
- Awarded the Role Model Awards at the All Youths Tush Awards in 2017
- Best Supporting Actress nominee at the Greenview Awards– 2018
- Most Searched Actress nominee at the NET Honours – 2018
- Most Popular Actress nominee at the NET Honours – 2018
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role Nomination (Yoruba) at the Best of Nollywood Awards (BON) – 2018
- Most Popular Actress Award at the NET Honours – 2019
Mercy Aigbe’s Net Worth
Mercy Aigbe is one of the richest actresses in the Nollywood industry, she bought herself a Toyota Prado in 2018, and that same year she bought herself a mansion worth about 200 Million Naira. Mercy Aigbe has an estimated net worth of about $600,000.